Well, she’s out. After a good washing we can get started on the projects that need to be done while she’s out of the water. I have to get the DC shunt installed to monitor our DC apms, install the tank senders and get them wired up, re-bed the chain plates, put the new Mantus anchor and chain on board, find the ^&R^% leak in the cabin top window, etc., etc. We expect her to make her journey around the middle of November. Then its sailing all year round!
I thought I’d throw up some before and after pics of the cockpit seating. As you can see in the first pics, the Cetol was on pretty thick. The basic process is to use a heat gun and a scraper to remove the crud. This is a time consuming grind but not difficult to do. Once you have all the crud off, it’s time to sand. This step is what’s going to make or break your project. Teak is a wonderful wood! Just about everything you see, digs, chips, white spots, etc., will sand right out. I used a vibrating palm sander as its an imperative that you sand with the grain! I used a 200 grit paper so as not to take too much at once. Take your time and make the wood look perfect. Now, with our boat, the previous owners were less than diligent when applying the crud. We had crud all over the sikaflex! The sikaflex does not like to be scraped but it can be sanded hehe. Use your scraper to get the heavy stuff off and then gently sand it to remove any remaining crud. Of course, if your sikaflex is ratty you can always replace it. I’ll not go into that bit. Once you are happy it’s time to protect your work. Or you can go ahead and let it weather naturally. We use a product called Semco. This is a uv protectant and conditioner. It is NOT a top coat. It doesn’t cover the wood like Cetol. You wipe this on with a rag, like you are staining. This product can be reapplied as often as you’d like. No sanding required between coats. That’s it. As you can see in the after pictures, we used a clear coat to keep the natural color.
Well, cockpit seats are done. Old name is removed and I just have to buff out for the new name. A new strainer had been added over the air conditioning thru hull. With any luck, get new name will go on in the next couple of days. Still a few things to do to make splash day but I’m confident we’ll make it.
Well, it begins…
The new mount is built for the A/C pump and is ready to be reinstalled. I’ve started stripping 1000 years of Cetol from the cockpit seats. As you can see, it really is a beautiful teak underneath. I’ll be finishing these with Semcoat instead to keep that gorgeous color. New magnesiums are ready to install as well. It appears that the boat has had the original, factory zincs on board.
Well Turtle Chaser is out of the water and ready for her winter nap. The only thing left to do is get her shrink wrap on. Of course I still need to try to get the last couple of toe rail sections done and of course, the winter projects like cleaning and resealing the cockpit seats, the swim deck teak and fixing the AC pump mount, but that’s stuff for another posting.